We collect a suitcase: prohibited and permitted goods
Going on a trip the most important thing is not to forget anything. Before such an important step, most often the day before we make a list of things that we may need. And the things that may appear in it, sometimes depend on the type of transport that we choose for our trip. You can travel by train, plane or car. What can you take with you, and what is better to leave at home?
In order to understand what items are allowed for transportation in an airplane, I will draw your attention to such a detail. Baggage is divided into two types: checked baggage and hand baggage.
Checked baggage – these are the things that you plan to carry in the baggage compartment of the aircraft. As a rule, the carrier company assumes responsibility for the integrity of your belongings, but there are a number of exceptions.
And they are not few:
- medications and documentation to them;
- points, money, keys;
- articles of precious and semiprecious metals;
- works of art;
- fragile or fragile things;
- electronic equipment;
- business documentation or securities.
Checked baggage has another limitation – weight. Its value may depend on the class of service and the category of passenger.
1. Economy class: the maximum allowable weight per person is 20 kg. Length and width should not exceed 155 cm.
2. Economy class for intercontinental flights: baggage weight 23-25 kg. Height, width and length, remain unchanged 158 cm.
3. Business class: the allowable weight of baggage per person starts from 30 kg, but its upper threshold will depend on the carrier.
We are talking about the allowed weight, which is carried free of charge. If at check-in when receiving a boarding pass it turns out that you have exceeded the “ free ” rate – you will have to pay extra for the advantage. And believe me, prices may shock you. To prevent this from happening to you, there are special scales in the airport lounge. Do not be lazy and check the weight of the suitcase in advance, and if something is wrong – you still have time to repack.
Hand baggage is an unchecked type of baggage that a passenger can carry with them in the cabin. Responsibility for it lies entirely on the passenger. Thus, in the plane carry all personal valuables. But here there are limitations and prohibitions.
Categorically in the plane as a hand baggage can not be carried:
- Cold, firearms and pneumatic weapons and all similar structures;
- Stabbing and cutting objects, namely scissors, medical injections, knitting needles, a corkscrew and a knife;
- Toys that mimic weapons;
- All that can spoil the skin of the aircraft;
- Explosive and flammable objects;
- The cooled compressed or liquefied gases, whether toxic or flammable. Exception – oxygen cartridges for asthmatics;
- Solvents, varnishes, paints;
- Bacteriological materials;
- Radioactive substances;
The maximum allowable dimensions of a carry-on bag: length 55 cm height 25 cm width 45 cm handles wheels and pockets enter the measured space. The item must be placed under the passenger seat or in the passenger compartment above the head, otherwise it will have to be checked in as checked baggage.
Maximum allowable weight of carry-on baggage: each airline company has its own requirements. Usually weight ranges from 4 to 15 kg. In budget airlines to comply with the size and weight of baggage is particularly strict.
In order to freely carry a wheelchair as checked baggage in an airplane, you need to comply with a number of requirements:
- Dry battery powered strollers can only be transported when their contacts are properly insulated. The battery must be disconnected;
- Strollers that run on liquid batteries can be transported, if the installation, unloading and loading will be carried out only in an upright position. Contacts are insulated, the battery is transported separately.
To provide a passenger with such a service as transporting an animal, any company, without exception, can. And the transportation rules are different for everyone. In order to save your time and nerves, we recommend you ask the airline in advance about the conditions of transportation. There are two options for transportation: in the cabin and in a special luggage compartment.
In the cabin it is possible to transport an animal weighing up to a maximum of 7 kg. And no more than 3-4 animals for the entire salon. Be sure to inform the airline that you plan to travel with an animal no later than 24 hours before departure.
Transportation in the luggage compartment is carried out only if there is a special container. This part of the aircraft is airtight and sufficiently heated, as well as the passenger compartment.
The shipping container must comply with the requirements of the International Airline Association. The size is determined as follows: the height must be such that the animal can safely be in it in a standing position, the width is the length of your pet doubled, and the length is the whole length of your pet and another half foot. Absorbent material should be placed on the floor of the cage. Wood containers are not accepted.
Regardless of whether you still have luggage, a place for a pet is always paid. Price depends on the carrier.
You must have a certificate form number 1 on the state of health of the animal. Attention! The certificate is considered valid if it was issued only by the state veterinary clinic. Special attention is paid to the rabies vaccine, it should be done no later than 60 days before the time of the intended journey. The certificate is valid only for 3 days and therefore it does not make sense to take it in advance.
Animals that accompany deaf or blind passengers are transported in the passenger compartment. A guide dog must always be near its owner on a leash and in a muzzle. A specially trained animal is transported free of charge. The only thing that carriers pay attention to is that the owner has supporting documents about his disability.
Movement in a train, like air travel, have their generally accepted standards. In order to make the trip process safe, there is a clear list of things that cannot be found in the baggage if you travel by train.
There are a number of items that can be transported by train only in limited quantities, otherwise they will be withdrawn:
- liquid, which relates to flammable – ether, acetone, carbon disulfide, samples of petroleum products;
- lighters and gas cartridges, the number of which does not exceed 2 pieces per person;
- vinegar no more than 1 liter per person;
- cosmetics, which have a spirit-varnish base;
- mercury thermometers, barometers, manometers in the amount of 1 pc per passenger.
In order to protect the life and health of passengers of a train, it is prohibited to carry the following items without relevant documents:
- weapons of all kinds, namely, firearms and cold weapons — these are rifles, pistols, revolvers, etc.
- ammunition to them;
- daggers, airborne knives and military. The knives allowed for carriage include only those that do not have a retainer, and these are road and penknives;
- liquefied or compressed gases;
- explosives and substances of similar effect such as gunpowder, detonators, rocket launchers and smoke bombs, trotyl;
- poisonous and toxic gases nicotine, mercury, strychnine, hydrocyanic acid.
Houses should also be left with all items prohibited for transportation by customs regulations.
As you can see, it is easier to carry baggage on the train, since not so strict requirements are imposed on it than, say, in an airplane. But still, the palm in the most convenient transportation of things continues to confidently keep the car.
I will not rant on this topic for a long time. I will say this: in the car you can carry everything that is not prohibited by the criminal code of the country in which you are located. Therefore, if you plan to cross the border by car, we strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the rules for importing goods in advance.
Do not expose your nerves to customs. And may your journey be always pleasant.